5.18.2006

CDs of the Week

The Pop Perfection Edition
Phoenix-It's Never Been Like That: I guess it is logical that pop at its finest would be the product of a French band singing in pitch-perfect English. High-neck guitar riffs, tinny cymbals, and tambourines combine into Skittles for your eardrums. Imagine the Strokes, if they were actually good, and your on the right track(maybe that's why no "The" in the band moniker). Only downfall is the instrumental "North", which just serves to increase the desire for more singing.
Favorite Lyric:Napoleon says take off your coat
Take off your longjohns too
The Weepies-Say I Am You: Utterly precious XY/XX chromosome Sunday morning music best served with a side of breakfast nook. Not as sacharine as above, but no more flawed. Again calls attention to Steve Tannen's brilliance(His "Shelter Hotel" is on my top ten list of tracks), while Deb Talan sounds like everyone's favorite aunt who always gave the best gifts.
Favorite Lyric: What do I compare you to
My favorite pair of shoes
Maybe my bright red boots
If they had wings

No comments: