5.02.2006

CDs of the Week

The Raconteurs-Broken Boy Soldiers: Like a match made in musical heaven, Jack White's analog nostalgia and not-quite-right songwriting plus Brendan Benson's three chord, partly cloudy, Apples in Stereo-nessequals a pop record made in the garage of the local PTO's haunted house. Looks like Jack grew that hideous Zorro/Dylan handle bar to play the role of gypsy ringmaster. Regardless his nasally whine has never sounded better than when paired with Benson's syrupy tenor. And yes these are the only two members of this "group" that matter.
Favorite Lyric- You want everything to be just like,
The stories that you read but never write

Drive By Truckers- A Blessing and a Curse: It may have been obvious that the alt country kings of Southern anthropology would eventually run out of macro-themes and be forced to turn their microscopes up a few orders of magnitude, but I don't think anyone saw this disc coming. By personalizing favorite issues such as suicide, poverty, family crises and stasis, and learning to write a decent melody for more than four songs on a record, the Truckers have added another pony trick to their Montgomery stable. Or maybe its just that I am a sucker for the pedal steel. Plus, another addition to the saddest song of the year race, "A World of Hurt."
Favorite Lyric- I was twenty seven when I figured out that
blowing my brains out wasn't the answer.
So I decided maybe I should find a way to
make this world work out for me.

No comments: