4.24.2006

CDs of the Week

Rhett Miller-The Believer: Not Elliott Smith as pop idol as some have said, but instead an aesthetically accessible investigation of the BIG THEMES, like sex, love and death. (Don't miss the Jon Brion cover) Plus he has a gold tooth and a model wife. For more domesticated singer-songwriters, see Eef Barzelay's Bitter Honey.
Favorite Lyric- "Tonight, I'm gonna sleep on the train tracks.
It's gonna be peaceful,
then its gonna get rough."

The Mountain Goats- Babylon Springs EP: Ten year high school reunion-type nostalgia for ex-girlfriends wrapped in hipster keyboards and plucked Telecaster. Not to mention the most tragic song of the first third of the year, Sometimes I Still Feel the Bruise, an imagined conversation with the one who got away.
Favorite Lyric- "I'm under no illusion, just what I meant to you.
But you made an impression,
sometimes I still feel the bruise"

No comments: